Cedar Creek School has many ways to help contribute to the success of the school. The Parent Association and Advancement Office offer a range of volunteer and parent participation opportunities.
The Cedar Creek Parent Association and the Advancement Office/Head of School coordinate parent activities and special fundraising events. Cedar Creek offers a wide range of volunteer opportunities and parent participation is a key component in our ongoing success. This year the President of the Cedar Creek Parent Association is Frank Johnson.
By volunteering, you are agreeing to function as a school hostess from this time through September 2015. Volunteers will be expected to provide refreshments at Parent Club events, the quarterly culinary tribute to faculty members celebrating birthdays and any other events as requested by the Head of School, Board of Directors, Head of Development or Parent Club. Duties will include, but will not be limited to food, table and flower preparation, development of receptions held in conjunction of retirements, special school events, etc. Usually, there will be at least two to three weeks notice for such events, but be prepared for instances when there may be only 1 -2 days to prepare. Coordination for events should be passed from the Parent Club President to the Committee.
This project starts in late summer with pre-ordering T-shirts and all spirit items for the coming year. Volunteers are needed to sell the items at school functions and sporting events (until halftime). A co-chair is currently needed to assist with this project. Have you ever thought of purchasing Cougar Gear for party favors?
Box Tops for Education
Clip Box Tops from your favorite products. Look for the 10¢ Box Tops coupon on hundreds of your favorite products from General Mills. And now, you can find Box Tops on brands like Ziploc®, Kleenex® and HUGGIES®, too! Shop at your favorite online stores. A portion of every qualifying purchase is donated to your school - all at no additional cost to you. For more information go to www.boxtops4education.com
Holidays at Cedartown
This is an annual shopping extravaganza held at the Ruston Civic Center in November. Due to the enormity of this project, there are several subcommittees and they include:
- Public Relations: Responsible for all advertising for and throughout CedarTown
- Decorations: Responsible for decorating designated areas of Civic Center and for cleanup of said areas
- Raffle: Responsible for the collection and display of donated items as well as booth preparation and ticket sales
- Ticket sales: Responsible for sale of tickets to shoppers
- Brunch: Responsible for complete organization of vendors, food and tickets for the Thursday morning Brunch.
- Hospitality: Responsible for the purchase of all refreshments for the merchants. This committee prepares the hospitality carts and makes the carts available to the merchants. They also prepare and serve lunch to the merchants.
Faculty Christmas Reception
This is a luncheon held each December in honor of the entire faculty. Participants will be asked to contact parents to help with donations for the meal, set up and decorate tables and to help serve the meal. The date is usually set by November 1st and the event is held one of the half days before Christmas break. Be prepared to work quickly and on a tight schedule as this generally follows an elementary Christmas program.
Elementary, Middle/High School Christmas Project
This is a mid-year service project benefiting our teachers and was originally developed to eliminate the need to purchase individual gifts for each teacher. Collectively through this project, we are able to do something much nicer for each teacher and each classroom. The committee collects voluntary donations from the parents of elementary children and these funds are used to purchase items on each teacher's "classroom wish list." We will need a "Santa" for each classroom. "Santa" will be responsible for obtaining the items on the list and presenting the gifts during the class Christmas party.
Back-to-School Swim Parties and Parent Coffees
These are socials held in conjunction with the beginning of school designed to allow students and parents the opportunity to get reacquainted after the summer. Participation can include selecting a date, hosting a coffee in your home, developing an invitation and mailing to parents.
The events are generally held before school begins or the first day of school.
This is a fundraiser that has grown in popularity to the point that it now is held for 1½ weeks in mid-February. It also coincides with Grandparents Day. Volunteers are needed for approximately 10 school days to set up the fair, daily organization and the receipt and distribution of orders. Volunteers normally sign up for 2 hour increments, but feel free to volunteer as much time as you can.
Cedar Creek Celebration
This is Cedar Creek's annual dinner and auction held in the spring. Like any other project of this size, planning is already underway. Volunteers will need to be sure and allot enough time to spend on this project so that it continues to be a success.
Volunteers are needed for the following subcommittees:
- Acquisitions: This is a tremendous effort to acquire items for silent and live auctions.
- Classroom Projects: Responsible for developing a creative project representative of each class for the live auction.
- Decorations: Responsible for decoration and subsequent clean-up of designated areas within Civic Center. Also responsible for organizing set up of tables as well as table preparation.
- Auction: Again, this is a huge part of this event and responsibilities include coordinating the collection and storage of all auction items as well as to plan the presentation of these items.
- Auction Check-Out Committee
- Food and Beverage: Responsible for the coordination of bids and contracts necessary for these services.
- Program: Responsible for complete preparation, including cover art, for program.
- Publicity and Invitations: Responsible for all advertising and invitations for Celebration.
- Sponsorship: Responsible for the enlistment of sponsors.
- Ticket: Responsible for printing tickets and working alongside the publicity committee for the pre-sale and distribution of tickets.
This event is held in early May. We host a luncheon in addition to providing homemade goodies for the teacher's lounges and small gifts for the faculty. Volunteers will be needed all five days in various capacities including:
- Assistance with the luncheon (decorating, serving, and approximately two substitutes per elementary class to allow the teachers a free lunch time)
- Morning distribution of snacks, small gifts, etc.
- Miscellaneous activities to be announced at a later date.
This program focuses on showing our teachers how much we appreciate them during the school year. A parent "adopts" a teacher and provides small gifts for holidays, birthday, etc.
Creek Pride Work Day
This event is held each summer and once during the school year to spruce up our campus. Volunteers paint, clean, landscape, and help with projects in the teacher classrooms.
As co-chair, please understand that you will be expected to be next year's chair, unless the current chair would like to keep working in that capacity.